Marvin Gaye appreciation

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I was just listening to Marvin Gaye's 'Live At The London Palladium'.After what must be the 653rd time i've listened to 'Got To Give It Up', I still can't get over just how tight that band was - and how much that tune rules.A 5 star rating as far as i'm concerned.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes.

Can't get enough of this one lately.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    That motherfucker is my Elvis.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    dude!

words don't do justice - a god.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That motherfucker is my Elvis.

That's a real good one, in a real good correct way.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i passed Here,My Dear a million times and never picked it up because i never really heard too much about it.....i had the essentials...whats going on...i want you...lets get it on...trouble man....and some weaker ones In My Lifetime..etc....but Here,My Dear....blew my fucking head off and i felt like an ass that it took me that long to cop it......Marvin is flawless........I WANT YOU IS A PERFECT RECORD...and his songwriting is unfuckwitable

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I was just listening to Marvin Gaye's 'Live At The London Palladium'.
    After what must be the 653rd time i've listened to 'Got To Give It Up', I still can't get over just how tight that band was - and how much that tune rules.

A 5 star rating as far as i'm concerned.

3 words........"I want you"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Your breakup mixtape includes:

That's the way love is
    The end of our road

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    3 words........"I want you"

Well thank you, but i'm already taken for.

• i'm a fan of pretty much everything he's done, but here are 5 hightlight:

"please don't stay (once you go away)"
    "i want you"
    "anger"
    "come live with me (angel)"
    "heavy love affair"

• djrdjr 511 Posts

all I can say is:

"it's a desperate situation"

fantastic tune. and I need a copy. anyone??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My Top 5 Marvin Gaye songs of right now.

- "Too Busy Talking 'Bout My Baby"
    - "You Can Leave (But It's Going To Cost You)"
    - "Come Live With Me Angel"
    - "Right On"
    - "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You"

to the nth degree.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    My Top 5 Marvin Gaye songs of right now.

- "Too Busy Talking 'Bout My Baby"

talkin ???? si this an alternate take with marvin on phone ???

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i passed Here,My Dear a million times and never picked it up because i never really heard too much about it.....i had the essentials...whats going on...i want you...lets get it on...trouble man....and some weaker ones In My Lifetime..etc....but Here,My Dear....blew my fucking head off and i felt like an ass that it took me that long to cop it......Marvin is flawless........I WANT YOU IS A PERFECT RECORD...and his songwriting is unfuckwitable

I just finally got I want you like a month or two ago. I felt like bigger idiot than usual when I finally heard it. Serious homer simpson "Doh" moment!

:grits teeth: I am still "sleeping on" here, my dear. I need to go buy this today...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

TIME

TIME

JESUS SAID TIME WILL HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TIME

TIME

TIME

TIME

BUT WE HAVE TO LIVE RIGHT TO GET TO TIME

TIME

TIME

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    How come no one ever mentions this record?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    How come no one ever mentions this record?

Because 'Heavy Love Affair' is most underrated!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    "YOU'VE GOT ME LOOOOOOOKING FOR LOVE"

THIS is my shit though!

• ...my vote for most awsome jacket collar on a record cover!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Marvin is unfuckwitable, although i like Al Green better.

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts

many fantastic songs already mentioned, but my top spin is "Where are we going"

• inner city blues is and always will be my joint -- could be more relevant now than when he wrote it.

• "You're the Man" Is funky as all hell. Deepstank played me the red vinyl 45 and it blew my mind. Was able to get it on Polydor's "Funky Disposition" comp. I don't know if it was on any of Marvin's albums.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    "You're the Man" Is funky as all hell. Deepstank played me the red vinyl 45 and it blew my mind. Was able to get it on Polydor's "Funky Disposition" comp. I don't know if it was on any of Marvin's albums.

It was only released as a single, between what's going on and trouble man. Does anyone know if he had more 45's released in the 70's that was not on any of his lps.

• ademurademur 33 Posts
    "You're the Man" Is funky as all hell. Deepstank played me the red vinyl 45 and it blew my mind. Was able to get it on Polydor's "Funky Disposition" comp. I don't know if it was on any of Marvin's albums.

as mentioned not on any albums, i got a white label demo Tamla T54221F, 'Your The Man' Part 1. Its the same track both sides, I've also seen a standard yellow-brown Tamla release. It was produced by Marvin and releases 1972.

Really like the Mizell productions which are on those deluxe cds...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I love it when Soulstrut comes down to earth and gets away from all that ultra raer bullsh*t and recognizes the REALNESS. Marvin Gaye, YOU'RE The Man. Word up. As great as the records are, you gotta see dude on one of his live concert videos/dvds. Unfuckwittable, mang. Sweatin' like a pig in that rolled up skully, murderin' all the ladies in the audience, smooth as f**k.

I love his duet records, too- those Tammi Terrell joints are classic. And of course this-

I also just realized the brillance of this record- my older brother bought it when it first came out, but I never paid it any mind since it didn't really have any hits (the ignorance of youth). Didn't even check for it until just recently... whoa.

But Marvin's rendition of the National Anthem at the 1983 NBA All-Star game? GAME OVER.[/b]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As quiet as it's kept, people forget that "You're The Man" WAS on an album - 1974's three-record Anthology album. Okay, so it was a compilation, but it is out there. Speaking of which, I always liked the chronological flow of the LP - five sides of Marvin at his smooth loverboy best, but by side six we get his introspective, social-consciousness recordings, kicking off with "What's Going On" and wrapping up with 1972's "Trouble Man."

Bearded Marvin from the seventies and eighties is great, but since there seems to be notta lotta love for his clean-shaven 1960's era, this is my Top 5 from that time:
    "One Of These Days"
    "Try It Baby" (oddly bluesy for Motown)
    "Your Unchanging Love"
    "Gonna Give Her All The Love I Got"
    "Ain't That Peculiar"

...plus, I gotta echo whoever listed "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby." After What's Going On Marvin would never sound this innocent again.

I also just realized the brillance of this record- my older brother bought it when it first came out, but I never paid it any mind since it didn't really have any hits (the ignorance of youth).

Ignorance of youth is right! There actually were a couple of hit singles from this album, "You're A Very Special Part Of Me" and the amazing "My Mistake Was To Love You." Seems like the only Marvin duets that get any airplay, oldies-wise, are the ones with Tammi Terrell. The songs Marvin cut with Mary Wells, Kim Weston, and Diana Ross don't get exposed as much, even though those were hits too.

But you know what my fave Marvin/Diana "duet" is?

"Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In." From Farewell, that album of Diana Ross & the Supremes' final concert. At one point, Diana passes the mic around to celebrities in the audience (including Smokey & Claudette Robinson and the cast from Hair), and when it gets to Marvin, the crowd goes NUTS, with shouting from all four corners of the room...Diana damn near has to bogart the mic to get her show back!

• i passed Here,My Dear a million times and never picked it up because i never really heard too much about it.....

I had always heard that it was "bad" and "strange", passed it up over and over until me and Odub were at this place Mooncurser which is on an island off the Bronx...everything in there was pretty rinked or overpriced, O-dude handed me a copy of "Here My Dear" and it has been a fixture in The Castle In Brooklyn ever since. A singularly sad, funky, experimental piece of music. I then pushed that shit on Paycheck and it had the same effect on him: some "why have I been paying this no mind" type steez. There's nothing funnier to me than these folls who show off their Placebo or library records or whatever, and don't have " Let's Get It On" or "I Want You"...VERY SUSPECT. Dude's biography is soooo depressing that it's hard to even get through. It seems like there were only tiny pockets of time during which the gawd wasn't either completely wacked out of his head on the raw or depressed beyond belief...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I also just realized the brillance of this record- my older brother bought it when it first came out, but I never paid it any mind since it didn't really have any hits (the ignorance of youth).

Ignorance of youth is right!

Well... I was really talking about the record below that statement, the "Here, My Dear" album. I didn't even know about the Diana & Marvin lp until probably like the mid 90's! (Although I did always like "My Mistake", ever since I was a little kid.) But I hear what you're saying... Marvin made a lot of great music over the years. A lot of the stuff from the clean cut 60's era Marv was great, too. It's just that the 70's stuff was sooooo revolutionary... kinda sent shockwaves throughout the world, ya know?
    I'd like to do a Marvin Gaye top 5, but I honestly wouldn't know where to begin- too many gems for me to even choose from.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i passed Here,My Dear a million times and never picked it up because i never really heard too much about it.....

I had always heard that it was "bad" and "strange"

I bought it PRECISELY BECAUSE it was considered bad and strange...even Marvin's misfires yielded positive results. Matter of fact, that's why I bought In Our Lifetime. His bio, Divided Soul, went into so much detail about how eccentric this LP was that I had to hear it for myself. One of the best $5.99 purchases I ever made!

What I like about Here My Dear is how real it sounds for the late seventies...by this time all of his contemporaries were going disco, and here's Marvin doing this all-out funkathon! Really, it sounds more like '73 than '78, doesn't it? Even Rick James sounded slick next to this!

And, that comment about people who own all these collectible "raers" but are somehow missing the common classics? Well, with Motown artists I can halfway understand this...the hits have been totally overplayed in the media, and there was a period where I didn't want to hear "What's Going On" or "Let's Get It On" (the songs, not the albums) ever again. (I still don't want to deal with "Grapevine," as great as it is - just too overexposed.) Once you get past the hype, it's obvious that Motown deserved to be so popular.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I WANT YOU IS A PERFECT RECORD

Yes. Also, "Let's Get It On" is an absolutely amazing tune, which was arranged by local producer Rene Hall. A song that blew up for a reason.